Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Male Dogs vs. My Son(Potty Training Nightmare)

In my book, I feel boys relate to male animals, such as dogs.  Let me explain further.
I am presently in the process of potty training my son. This couldnt come as a greater joy for my son considering I potty train by allowing my children to run naked through the house. As long as there is no company over.
In potty training my son, I have come to the conclusion that he acts a lot like a male cat or dog. The reason for my thought is because he will literally run all through the house peeing here and there. And he doesnt pee large puddles either, but rather small markings. Just like a dog marking its territory. I will provide the most recent example.  Yesterday, I had two of my best friends who live out of town coming over. We have a four bedroom apartment and my two daughters were going to share a room to allow for my friends to have a bed. I finally have the whole room clean and the bed is made up. My son is in his room playing. I leave my oldest daughter/guest room to go to the laundry area to transfer clothes from the washer to dryer.  As I am doing so, Dylan shoots past me like a rocket into Rachael's room.  He starts to turn the bedroom light on and off.  I finish up what I am doing, then make my way to the bedroom to remove him....BUT WAIT!!!! Dylan has made sure to let my friends know that the room they are staying in is his. He has marked his territory on my oldest daughters dresser.
This behavior makes me think about potty training my daughters.  Did I ever go through moments where my daughters would pee on the floor?  Sure.  Its to be expected when trying to teach someone to use the bathroom.  However, did they pee on dressers, tables, while standing on beds, on a pile of clothes, on mommy's shoes??? NEVER! When potty training my girls, they were a lot like cats. They grasped the concept of toilet very quickly with the "diaper off potty training method." My son on the other hand believes the house to be his house(laughs), and loves to use his "manhood" to let everyone know that this house is his house and everything in it belongs to him by marking everything he comes into contact with. 
And so again, boys being potty trained are a lot like male animals, such as dogs, in that they feel they have to pee on and mark every visible corner of wherever they have been. All I can say is thank God for washers and thank God for carpet deep cleaners!!! Amen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment