Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Breathe in....breathe out....and repeat

Parenting can seem overwhelming sometimes.  Ok, a lot of the time.  The day in the life of a parent never ends.  The job is 24/7 without pay.  And there are no health benefits provided which would be wonderful in helping to ease the irking insanity that sometimes feels like it is sitting right beside you.  When things get to the point where my inside voice is quite literally screaming at the top of her lungs, I like to find my peaceful place.  My quiet spot.  I feel like my two year old for a moment, running to my room in a fleet of madness.  But where is my cape to fly off like Superwoman? 
Once in my room, the door shuts and locks, and I escape.  Although it is only ten minutes or so that I am in my room...if I am so lucky...I take those minutes and think of them as my get-a-way, my cruise out to sea.  I close my eyes, breathe, and envision my heaven on earth, which would either be the mountains or the ocean.  Today it is the ocean.  I smile for a brief moment as I conjure up a picture of the beach.  I am barefoot and running from the waves.  Gathering up sand dollars and sea shells.  Painting a canvas with my acrylics.  Watching the sun....
Oh but wait.  I am brought back to reality when I hear a knock at my bedroom door.  "Mom!  Mom!  Jozlynne and Dylan wont stop fighting!  I am also thirsty!  Mom?  Mom!"  It is my oldest daughter, Rachael.  Only about four minutes have passed.  If only I could have made it to ten.  Breathe in....breathe out....back to the neverending, unpaid, underrespected, but highly rewarding job of parenting/

No comments:

Post a Comment